I think the Indonesians fry the best chicken. Their are always fragrant, crispy, delicious and full of flavour. My mother taught me to always add ginger to fried chicken. I can never figure what the chemistry is, but it always tastes wonderful.
Besides ginger, I also added tumeric, or yellow ginger. It makes the chicken look even more appetizing and inviting. Used a kampong chicken today, which means it is puny, but it is so delicious.
1 Chicken (1.5 to 2 kg), cut into 12 pieces
2 Tbsp Corn flour
1 cup oil for deep frying
1 tsp ground cumin seeds
1 tsp ground coriander seeds
1 tsp ground pepper
3 small shallots
4 clove garlic
1 lemon grass, sliced
1 knob ginger
1 knob tumeric
1-4 red chili (add according to how spicy you want)
1 Tbsp Oyster Sauce or worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper
- Season the chicken with the ground seasoning sauce for about 30 minutes.
- Heat up the oil to low to medium heat.
- Add the egg and corn flour to the chicken and combine well.
- Fry the chicken until juices from the chicken run clear.
- Rest of 5 minutes before eating.
- Serve with steamed white rice.