500g beef cheeks cut into cubes
5 tablespoons cooking oil
1 big onion sliced
1 thumb size ginger, julienne
1 cinnamon stick (about 2-inch long)
3 star anise
3 cardamom pods
1 lemongrass (cut into 4-inch length and pounded)
1 cup thick coconut milk
6 kaffir lime leaves (very finely sliced)
6 tablespoons kerisik (toasted coconut)
1 inch galangal
3 lemongrass (white part only)
5 cloves garlic
1 inch ginger
- Grind all the spice paste ingredients into a paste.
- Heat the oil to high heat and fry the spices, and then lower the heat and fry the sliced onions and julienne ginger.
- Add the spice paste and fry until the oil turns orange in color.
- Add the beef, coconut and coconut milk and cook until beef is tender. I use the pressure cooker, and that takes 30 minutes. Without the pressure pot, it takes 4 hours.
- If using the pressure cooker, open the pot and evaporate the liquid.
- Serve with rice.
My mum makes the best rendang. Simply love it!