The kids can never have enough of this dish. I use a whole chicken and often still insufficient. The flavour is simply wonderful with the red wine added to the stew. Simple to cook, I just chuck it into the oven at low heat, and cook other dishes. When the rest are done, so is this stew.
1 chicken (joints only) or 4-6 joints
1 can (4 oz) button mushrooms
11/2 cup red wine
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 cloves garlic, minced
12 button onions or 2 large onions
1 tsp brown sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Oil
- Rub the salt, margarine and garlic into the chicken to season.
- Heat up the oil in a casserole pot and add the onions, then the chicken until slightly brown on the outside (or juices sealed).
- Add the mushroom bouquet garni, wine and stock.
- Once boil, transfer to the oven at 180C, for 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on how soft you want your meat to be.
- Adjust seasoning when done.