My dad would do this chicken wings for every party in our house when I was a kid. He would french the chicken wing drumsticks, and fashion the middle section into another drumstick. I used to think he was so clever as I had never seen anyone do that before in his lifetime!
He passed away 20 years ago, and in 2006, I managed to find a restaurant at ITE Simei that used this same technique. They called it Steven’s chicken but have moved to another place since, so I stopped having them. Just a month ago, I found some Youtube videos from the Philippines teaching this same technique, called Chicken Lollipops. Hm… maybe he learned it by looking at someone do it somewhere?
Here’s a video showing how to get 2 lollipops from one wing:
My dad died without leaving me many of his recipes, so I have to recollect how he did things and recreate all his recipes. Today, I had no mood to cook as the kids are all not hungry from the many snacks I made in the morning. They had quiche lorraines, muffins, bakzhang, mua chee, garlic chicken with rice, and fruits. So, I decided to just create a snack for them, and what a great time to recreate my dad’s favourite party dish he made for us without fail when we were still very young!
8 Chicken wings
2 Tbsp Soya sauce
1/2 cup flour
1 Tbsp Coriander seed powder
1 egg white
Salt and pepper
1 Tbsp Cooking oil
5 cloves Garlic, minced
Juice of 1 Orange (100 ml)
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
1 Tbsp Sesame seeds (toasted)
- Follow the video and make chicken lollipops with the wings and season with coriander powder, soya sauce, and egg white. Dust the lollipops with flour.
- Deep fry the chicken lollipops at low heat. Takes 8-10 minutes to cook through.
- Dish them out and place on the serving bowl.
- Prepare the sauce by heating the cooking oil in a pan.
- Fry the minced garlic at low heat until golden brown.
- Add the orange juice, oyster sauce and brown sugar and cook until thick, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the sesame seeds and coat the chicken lollipops with the sauce.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the chicken.