I’ve made it high fiber by grinding the pandan leaves to a paste, sugarless and gluten free. Because the juicer is so powerful, after I have ground the pandan leaves, even if I were to sieve, there would not have been any residue. So I just use the whole leaves. This cake is important because both my grandmothers died of complications from diabetes, so did my dad when he was 58.
The Chinese sinsei told me to cut down on sugar and carbo if I don’t want to be diabetic.
And since stevia is natural, does not affect the blood sugar and I have a bottle, then why not.
I can never imagine making a meringue without sugar and now I do. No fancy fancy processed food. Just some innovative techniques. That’s why it’s OK it is ugly, I wanted it to bake fast to taste it.
If you have old folks who are diabetic and crave pandan cake, or you want to cut sugar out, this works.
The cake is very moist, so it is slightly softer than most pandan cakes, it is very fragrant, and the texture is very much the same. The trick is to know the amount of stevia to use. Generally, you must read the package on the stevia product you buy to put in the relevant amount. Once that is done, nobody will know it is a good-for-you-cake. 🙂 Like Nutella likes to say, “It tastes like a junk food, but works like a health food”.
15 pandan leaves
100ml coconut cream
6 egg yolks
40g corn starch
40g rice flour (diabetics - use tapioca or potato flour)
30-60g sunflower or olive oil
A good pinch of salt
6 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon stevia extract (or equivalent of 100g of sugar)
- Put the pandan leaves and coconut milk into a powerful juicer (mine's Ninja) and grind into a smoothie.
- Place the smoothie,egg yolks, corn starch, rice flour, salt and oil into a bowl and mix into a paste.
- Whip the egg whites with the cream of tar tar till stiff peaks are formed. (Kitchen Aid #6, 5 minutes), add the stevia.
- Fold in the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture 1/3 at a time.
- Pour this into a 8 inch or tube pan and bake for 60 minutes at 170C.
- Remove from the pan only when it is completely cooled.