This recipe is from my friend and church-mate, Irene. Has been around for more than 20 years, and served many. Truly tried and tested. Enjoy!
Note that I have changed the recipe by adding a few ingredients, as I like my cake with a bit of fluff. The method is also simplified from Irene’s (so that I have less to wash and takes a shorter time) without, in my opinion, affecting the end product.
2 pcs butter(500gm)
300 gm sugar
150 gm plain flour
20 eggs separated
3 tbsp condensed milk
2 tsp mixed spice
2 tsp vanilla essence
3 Tbsp Cognac/XO
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
- Cream butter n condensed milk
- Emulsify egg yolk one at a time to creamed butter mixture till all well combined.
- Sift flour, baking powder, spices and salt and then fold into the egg yolk mixture.
- Whisk white with some sugar till stiff peak.
- Divide egg white mixture into 3, and fold into egg yolk mixture 1/3 at a time.
- Heat grill to 280C.
- Line a 20cm square pan completely.
- Place 120g of mixture into the pan and grill for 3 minutes (watch and adjust accordingly).
- Remove from grill when desired brown-ness is reached.
- Place another 120g of mixture into the pan and repeat the process until the mixture is depleted.
- Turn the temperature to 180C and bake for another 15 minutes.