Having made this dish for more than 15 years, I’ve learned that the secret is really in the ground coriander. The seeds must be freshly ground from coriander seeds; using coriander powder just doesn’t yield the same result.
Today, I’ve also made a duck neck sausage with the leftover minced pork in my fridge. I stuffed the pork into the duck neck and then cook it with the rest of the duck. It is great. Happy with that invention.
I used the pressure cooker and cut the cooking time to a fraction.
1/2 Duck (enough for 4)
1 Tbsp tamarind paste (combined with 1 cup of water, mix and strain, reserve the liquid)
1/2 cup Cooking Oil
1 cinnamon stick
Marinade for duck:
1 1/2 Tbsp Coriander Seeds
3/4 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Dark Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp Dark soy sauce
Duck Neck Sausage:
1 Skin of duck neck (cleaned inside out, with all visible fat removed)
50g Prawn meat (roughly chopped)
50g Minced Pork
2 tsp Soya Sauce
1/2 tsp Pepper
1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- Grind the coriander seeds and combine with the rest of the marinade.
- Clean duck and marinade duck with the marinade for at least 1 hour.
- To make the sausage, season the duck neck together with the rest of the duck.
- Mix the filling and stuff the duck neck.
- Pat dry duck and heat up the cooking oil in a pressure cooker.
- Fry the onions, and then the duck and duck neck till the skin is brown.
- Place the rest of the ingredients into the pot and put the lid on. Cook for 20 minutes. Duck will be ready, the duck is well cooked if the meat falls off the bones.
- Remove the duck carefully, and continue to boil the sauce till it thickens and becomes shiny.
- Let the duck rest for 15 minutes before cutting. Pour the sauce over the duck. Serve with rice.