“What do you want to eat, Sue?”
But I don’t feel like cooking it, and I have put it off for a whole month, so today, I decided to give it a go. I used to make this weekly, because that was the only thing my oldest boy would eat, and this became a comfort food for the kids.
I made a huge tray of 50 cm by 20 cm by 7 cm and it was polished up by the kids in 20 minutes. Well. We’ll make another of their comfort food tomorrow. My kids’ comfort food seems different from mine.
So here is my twenty year old recipe. Always a hit with my kids. :)!
130g Plain flour
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1 cup Milk
50g Tasty Cheese (or Cheddar cheese)
50g Mozzarella Cheese
50g Parmesan Cheese
500g Minced Beef
1 Tbsp Cooking Oil
1/2 cup Frozen Peas or Mixed vegetables
1/2 cup Frozen Corn
1 Large Onion, diced
5 cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 cup Shiraz wine
5 Tbsp Tomato paste
1 Tbsp Soya Sauce
1 tsp bullion powder
1 tsp Italian herbs
6 sheets Instant Lasagne Sheets
- Heat the oven at 200°C
- Heat up the oil and sweat the onions and garlic at low heat, until they are soft.
- Turn up the heat and add the the minced beef and herbs.
- Add the wine and cook down until the beef is cooked.
- Add the peas and tomato paste then the bullion and soya sauce.
- Simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Melt butter and stir in the flour.
- Stirring constantly (I use a Thermomix), add in the milk and let it boil momentarily.
- Stir in the half of the mozzarella, tasty and parmesan cheeses.
- In a glass bowl, scoop the filing to form a layer of sauce.
- Cover this layer with the lasagne sheets, and top the lasagne sheets with the bechamel sauce.
- Top with the tasty cheese.
- Repeat with the layer of filing, then the sheets the sauce and then the cheese.
- End with the cheese layer, but this time with the mozzarella and the parmesan as well.
- Bake at 200°C in an oven on a medium to high rack for 15 to 20 minutes.