These days, when I searched around for this steamed glutinuous rice chicken dish, all of them look so different from what I understand it to be. Kind of strange…
I remember it is supposed to be a simple dish, sold in coffee shops, always white in colour, and always just topped with chicken. In today’s cook, I must have gotten influenced and added in the mushrooms and chinese sausage like everybody else. When I made them decades ago, it was a much simpler affair.
So this is a documentation of my version of this steamed glutinuous rice. It is simple, with simpler ingredients and less jelak compared to the many I see online.
4 bowls of glutinuous rice (soaked overnight in cold water)
1 Tbsp Soya Sauce
1 tsp Ground white pepper
1 Tbsp Sesame oil
Salt to taste
4 Chicken Thighs (deboned, skinned and cut into strips of 1 cm each)
1 Tbsp Oyster sauce
1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
1 Tbsp Chinese Wine
Salt to taste
Optional: Chinese sausages (2 will be enough, steamed), salted egg yolk, dried mushroom (reconstituted)
2 cups of chicken stock
- Season the rice that was soaked overnight with its seasoning.
- Season the chicken with its seasoning.
- Arrange a layer of chicken and any optional ingredients into a small rice bowl.
- Top that with glutinuous rice to mid way.
- Lay another layer of chicken and atop the rice.
- Fill with the glutinuous rice to about two-thirds full.
- Top this with chicken stock, to just covering the rice.
- Steam covered in a steam oven for 30 minutes or until the rice no longer tastes grainy.