20g Sugar (any fine sugar, sugar replacement, stevia etc)
5 egg yolks
80g Flour (plain flour, rice flour, or a mixture. I like 80% plain flour, 20% rice flour)
Juice and zest of 1 medium orange
40g cooking oil
5 egg whites
50g Fine sugar of any kind as above
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven at 180C.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients and mix until completely combined.
- Whip egg white at room temperature until frothy and add the cream of tartar.
- Rain in the sugar and continue to beat until firm but no stiff peaks.
- Mix the egg white mixture to the egg yolk mixture a third at a time.
- Turn the cake upside down once it is baked.
- Glide a knife through the surface between the cake and the tin. I grease the tube for easier removal.
I like chiffon cakes caramelized on all sides, and with lots of orange zest and orange juice. It is an easy cake to make, and once it is in the oven, I just let it bake for a full 50 minutes, take it out, leave it upside down until I am ready to unmould it.
This is an easy cake to make, and easy cake to eat. Always the choice whenever I have oranges.