If you grew up in South East Asia, you will never have missed this treat. I’ve used coconut in this sorbet-ice-cream recipe and it is really between an ice cream and a sorbet. So this is a milk-free ice-cream.
I love using the ice cream maker. Makes all liquids so delicious.
11/2 cup coconut juice
11/2 cup thick coconut milk
160g palm sugar
1/4 white sugar
2 Tbsp rum
1 cup red beans (optional or 1/2 cup of black glutinous rice/pulot hitam)
- Combine everything except the coconut milk in a pot and boil till red beans or pilot hitam is broken and super soft. Top up water if need be. I used a pressure cooker, so there was no need to top up.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and cook to room temperature.
- Place mixture into an ice-cream mixture, and churn until mixture resembles soft serve.
- Scoop into popsicle containers or a wide pan to freeze.
- Needs at least an hour to freeze.