O, I love these so much. When I was a kid, you could buy these from a neighbour’s house. Just stick 5 cents into the window and say, “Cik, ikan bilis kachang”, and a hand would pass a small plastic bag of this wonderful combo though the same window. What an adventure.
1 cup ikan bilis
1 cup nuts with skin on
2 tablespoon of sambal
1 Tbsp sugar
2 red chilies (I used 1 fresh and 1 dried)
1/2 big onion
5 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp belachan
1 Tbsp dried prawn
1 white part of lemon grass finely sliced (optional)
2 kaffir leaves (optional)
- Blend or pound the ingredients for the sambal.
- Deep fry nuts for 5 minutes, and drain oil.
- Deep fry ikan bilis for 2 minutes, drain and set aside.
- In a medium hot pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil.
- Fry the sambal until oil exudes, and the paste darkened.
- Stir the nuts and ikan bilis through the sambal mixture.
- Add the sugar, and remove from heat when the sugar has melted.