I wanted to bake a cake, and saw many people making a pastry fruit cake. I examined the recipe, and can imagine how it tastes. No, not in the mood for that kind of cake today.
My friends brought over some really nice R2E2 mangoes, my kids are not going to eat them and we have to head out for an overseas trip soon, so they will rot if I don’t eat them. I wanted it on a cake.
I went to the supermarket, and saw this new brand of cream cheese: Cowhead. O, so now Cowhead also does cream cheese. It is so cheap, so I’ve got to give it a try. Bought it, just one block of 8oz. You cannot make a cheesecake with one block of cream cheese, but you can make a small layer.
So I decided to modify a pound cake recipe (equal portions of sugar, flour, butter and eggs) and add a cheese cake layer in between.
The result? Wow! How wonderful! The middle is like a cheesecake, moist, creamy and soft while the top and bottom are crumbly and soft just like good pound cakes. It became a hit.
Innovation has its wonderful outcomes. This is one of it. 🙂
4 medium eggs
200g Self-raising flour
1 tsp Lemon Zest
1 tsp Vanilla essence
8 oz Cream cheese (1 block) at room temperature
4 Tbsp Sugar
4 Tbsp High Quality Cocoa powder
2 Tbsp Milk
Fruits that you like
- Cream the butter with sugar until smooth and white.
- Add the vanilla essence, lemon zest, milk.
- Add the eggs emulsifying one at a time.
- Fold in the flour.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir enough to only combine. Do not overbeat
- Pour half of the pound cake mixture into a pan bottom-lined with parchment paper.
- Pour the cheese cake layer, then the rest of the pound cake layer.
- Arrange fruits on top of the cake, do not press the fruit into the batter.
- Bake at 180C for 45 minutes or until the right colour.
- Dust with icing sugar.
If you want to discuss this recipe or take a free online baking class, please join us at www.facebook.com/groups/pamcooks . Don’t just learn how to follow recipes, learn how to bake. ?